I finally launched my new site. It took forever, and by forever I mean about six years! I’ve had sites up before. Flash sites, template sites, portfolio sites, blog-hybrid sites. They all looked cool at the time I guess, but they never really worked. I mean, you could see the images of the work I was trying to obfuscate the quality of by framing them in some incredibly magical setting of Photoshop filters, blurs, and fake tilt-shift effects. But you could never really use my sites. That is because I never cared. I didn’t want my sites to be great websites. I just wanted to get some gigs as a designer or an illustrator. I wanted to have magazines and art directors flooding my inbox with requests for badass treatments for their new campaigns!
That has pretty much all changed now. I guess you could say I’ve grown up or become a ‘pro’. Regardless, a new site is up and its a good feeling. I got to put into production a lot of the things not usually allowed in day-to-day client work: A nodejs backend, powering a single page backbone application. I also decided to forego dealing with any major fallback issues. Don’t freak out, I handle IE8 for client work all the time. But this project is/was mine. The prospective audience is a demographic that uses iPads and MacBooks and Nexus devices. Now, if my analytics start to show a massive spike in IE9 and iOS 4, I’ll go ahead and tweak some things. But in the meantime, here is the healthy starting point: